GAMBLING AND THE IRS
Based on the Canada / US Tax Treaty, Canadians are subject to a 30% withholding tax on their gambling or lottery winnings. As a result of the treaty Canadians are also able to recover all or a portion of the taxes paid on their gambling winnings. However Canadians are required to substantiate their gambling losses. The amount of your refund is based on the amount you have won and lost in the United States throughout the calendar year. It’s a good idea to keep a diary or log book that tracks the following information:
- Date and type of gambling activity or wager you placed
- Name and address of the place you gambled
- Names of other persons that were with you while you gambled
- Amount you won or lost
- Casino player’s card.
- Bank or ATM slips showing withdrawals from your account.
- Wagering tickets or slips
- Checks and bank statements
- Statements showing your winnings or receipts showing your payments that were issued by the gambling establishment.
APPLY NOW FOR FREE!
I WANT MY 30% BACK!
By applying for our service you make no obligation to deal with us. You will be provided with a quote once we receive all information pertaining to a refund.
You have the assurance that US Tax Recovery will not sell or disclose your information to third parties.