US Gambling Tax

If you gamble and win at a legal casino in the United States, chances are you’ll have to pay the US gambling tax on those winnings.  If you win more than $1200, the casino will withhold thirty percent of your winnings to pay the US gambling tax. This is done to ensure that your winnings will be properly declared as income.  The casino will give you a win slip, which is also filed with the IRS to make certain they know you’ve already paid the appropriate taxes on this income. However, anyone who is not a US citizen may be entitled to a return of the portion of their winnings lost to the US gambling tax. As anyone who is not a citizen of the United States may have to pay taxes on their income in their country of origin, there are tax recovery services in place to ensure that no one will have to pay tax on their winnings twice.

US Tax Recovery can be a long and complicated process, especially as the money withheld by the casino must be reclaimed from the IRS, whose procedures may be unfamiliar to people who are not US citizens. You will have to complete a number of forms, and provide proof of your residency and citizenship in a country other than the United States. You will also have to provide documentation on the taxes withheld by the casino, and show your reasons for visiting the United States at the time of the win. This process is drawn out and complicated, and the most efficient way to go about reclaiming the portion of your winnings lost to the US gambling tax is to seek the assistance of a company that specializes in US tax recovery.

There is a time limit on the recovery of your US gambling taxes.  After several years have passed, you will no longer be able to reclaim your lost winnings, which means it is far better to act as soon as possible to recover the money due to you. Your best option is to seek professional assistance.  Companies offering US tax recovery services will be familiar with the the required forms, will help you provide all the required documentation, and will be able to access the win slip stating exactly how much you paid in US gambling taxes.  You will stand a far better chance of succeeding in recovering your lost winnings if you use a service than if you attempt to tough out the process on your own.  As the amount of tax withheld is thirty percent of your winnings, it is well worth your time to seek out a professional US tax recovery service.

In summary:  If you gamble in the United States and are neither a US resident nor a US citizen, you may be able to recover the US gambling tax withheld from your winnings.  For assistance in doing so, visit us at US Tax Recovery.